Tuesday 26 January 2010

My First Book Design

I've had a bit of a play with InDesign.  I've never used it before, so I'm just learning as I go along.
book design 01

This is what I have come up with so far.  This image is strong enough for a front cover (the book doesn't have a white border around it, it is just to show where the borders are).
I messed around for a while with the lettering.  I would have liked the grey and orange that I’m using on the blog at the moment, but it doesn’t seem to go with the image and looks a bit ‘tacky’ and gimmicky for a book cover.  I’ll have to play around with the positioning, but this will be determined by what image I choose.  I don’t want the wording to interfere with the image detail in any way.
inside book design 01
 
Inside is very simple at the moment, but I may keep it this way – why over-complicate things just because you feel you have to do something fancy.  I was looking at Trevor Appleson’s book ‘Free Ground’ today and noticed that his book layout is similar – a picture on the right-hand page and a blank white left-hand page.  The left-hand page was blank.  I may include the interviews on the left-hand page, however, a bit like this:
inside book design 02


I have done the size at A4 for now, just to see what it looks like.  I think I will give the book a little extra height.  Looking at it, I think I will make the background colour black to give more of an impression of night-time.

inside book design black 
All said and done, I'm at a very early stage and I haven't even found anyone to photograph yet!